Who Am I?
My expertise spans efforts involving system architecture definition, driving product development and the transition to high volume manufacturing, to leading R & D initiatives from both a development and management perspective.
My focus is on
decomposing product requirements in to actionable tasks for cross-functional team members
reducing risk through the use of rapid prototyping efforts, early validation of new technology areas, and best engineering practices
tight collaboration with business unit, customers, suppliers and manufacturing partners
sixteen product launches in the audio, biometric sensor, automotive, and satellite telecommunications markets
and been awarded
five patents in product design and algorithms
Some Of My Highlights
I have worked in a variety of technology areas in my engineering career, but leading the development of the ultrasonic fingerprint scanner was one of the efforts I enjoyed the most. It definitely was the most challenging, and it pulled from my technical skills in a variety of areas.
For this effort, I led a virtual team with members located in time zones from Belgium, to New York, to California, to China. In order to deliver on this project, I drove all aspects of the system design and implementation… all critical to achieving the end goal:
- Led the TFT sensor developers to optimize the TFT design for optimum signal level response in the pixels and uniformity across all pixels
- Drove numerous designs of experiments with the sensor stack assembly vendor to resolve not only the critical material properties for each layer in the stack, but also the assembly procedure required to deliver a very uniform, defect free sensor surface.
- Specified a highly programmable custom ASIC to drive the high voltages and timing for the sensor stack, and then managed an outside contractor for the ASIC development, fabrication, and verification
- Specified a custom FPGA design for handling all detailed timing required to generate sequential fingerprint images, and then managed an outside contractor for the FPGA development and verification
- Specified all detailed programming settings, including the microcode timing, to drive the system to capture and process fingerprint images from the sensor
- Led the systems engineering team on the post processing algorithms required to process the raw fingerprint images into the final images that passed the Appendix-F test suite
- Directed the hardware team in the very low noise design of the main processing control board and the custom chip-on-flex designs that interconnected to the sensor stack.
Ultimate success on this project required not only my ability to guide a large cross-functional team technically but also my ability to work with all stakeholders, internal and external, on requirements and other contractual matters.
Baseball league commissioner for the National Adult Baseball Association
Past chairman of the board for Sports Car Club of America SOLO program in San Diego, as well as SOLO Safety Steward and Youth Steward
Past executive board member of the Blue Ridge Blues Society
Sound / lighting for live performance and audio recording
Guitar and amplifier builder
Avid bass player in Blues and Rock bands